MAASAI MARA PHOTO TOUR IN KENYA, AFRICA
Join us for an 8-day African Photo Safari exploring the wildlife of the savannas in the Maasai Mara National Reserve, which boasts the highest concentration of megafauna in the world. The Maasai Mara won the title of Africa's Leading National Park in the World Travel Awards 2017.
This is an exclusive guided 6-person tour, with American wildlife photographer Amy Shutt and a co-leader TBA as your wildlife photography mentors. Our tour features two vehicles with professional and highly skilled Maasai guides with only three clients per safari vehicle.
We specialize in hands-on guidance with a mentor-to-client ratio of 3:1, meaning every game drive gives you the presence and immediate instruction of Amy or her co-leader.
The Maasai Mara is home to some of the most charismatic megafauna in existence. Our 11 game drives will explore the savannas with the goal of beautifully photographing and observing the animals that call the Maasai Mara home: African Lions, Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Maasai Giraffe, Hippo, Zebra, Impala, Topis, Leopard, Thompson's Gazelle, Black Rhino, Bat-eared Foxes, Black-backed Jackal, Spotted Hyenas, Martial Eagle, Crowned Crane and much more.
Our tour is open to photographers of ALL LEVELS.
Click on images to see larger version:
Working Itinerary March 2 to March 9, 2019:
On Saturday March 2, 2019 a driver will be waiting for you upon your arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International in Nairobi, Kenya. You will proceed to Hemingways Nairobi, a luxury 5-star boutique hotel. This 45-suite boutique hotel elevates the standard of luxury for travellers in the region. Beautiful in its symmetry and flooded with natural light, this plantation-style property is airy and spacious. Here you will meet up with Amy and her co-leader and the rest of the photo safari group. We will get acquainted and enjoy the beautiful environment while we prepare with Amy for photographing the wildlife that we will encounter in the coming days. Amy and her co-leader will do their best to help you capture images that you are happy with and that go beyond the basics and set themselves apart. Amy has years of experience educating and guiding in wildlife photography and looks forward to helping you meet your photographic goals.
Sunday morning we will take a short 45 minute flight to the Maasai Mara. Upon arrival you will meet our lead guide, Sammy Kaleku (see below for his bio) and our second guide. We spend the late morning at our tented camp, located in the heart of the Maasai Mara National reserve. only a short distance from the banks of the Maasai and Talek Rivers. After lunch and a instructional session with Amy and her co-leader we will head out on our first afternoon drive.
Days 3 - 7:
Each day we will rise early, have our morning coffee and tea, then head out on our morning game drive. We will enjoy a picnic breakfast on the plains as we break in late morning. We return to our tented campsite in the late morning or early afternoon and enjoy some downtime to rest, have lunch, and work on your photographic instruction and portfolio reviews. We head out in late afternoon to catch the best light for photography during our afternoon drive, returning at sunset. Upon return we will have time to rest before dinner and drinks in the quiet serene ambiance of our Maasai Mara campsite.
We will have our last breakfast from our campsite before heading out on our shirt flight back to Nairobi, where we have arranged a day room for you at Hemingways to rest and relax before heading home on your international flight out of Jomo Kenyatta International airport.
Maasai Mara Photo Gallery:
Click image to view larger version
If you do not own any of the equipment below you can rent from several rental facilities. Amy uses and recommends Lens Pro To Go, Borrow Lenses, and Lensrentals. Email Amy if you are unsure if your gear will work for this tour or you need specific :advice on what to bring or rent: email@example.com and she''ll let you know! :)
- DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Long lens (something that extends to at least 300 to 600mm)
- a 1.4TC and or a 2.0TC
- A shorter long lens, like a 70-200mm
- A wide angle lens for landscapes
- Enough SD cards to accommodate your shooting frequency
PRICING AND BOOKING DETAILS:
- Tour price is TBA per person (double/twin sharing) .
- A single supplement is available for TBA extra.
- Non-refundable deposit of TBA USD to secure your place
- The remaining balance is due on December 1, 2018.
- Once you've contacted us to sign up we will give you further instructions on paying your deposit through our licensed travel agent Pearson's Travel in the USA.
- Once you've contacted our agent, you will receive a booking form with terms and conditions before paying your deposit.
- By booking through Pearson's Travel your money is secure and protected.
TRAVEL INSURANCE: SIMPLE & FLEXIBLE
You can buy and claim online, even after you've left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
Amy loves World Nomads travel insurance!
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- Airport transfers, all transfers between locations, internal flights
- Hotel stay in Nairobi upon arrival and breakfast, and a day-room in Nairobi on the day of departure home
- Accommodations with all meals in the Maasai Mara
- Bottled drinking water
- 4x4 custom built safari vehicle
- One full row of seats for you and your gear in safari vehicle
- One professional photography mentor on every drive
- Knowledgeable and experienced professional Maasai driver/guide
- Entrance fees to National Parks
- 11 game drives
What photography mentoring is included in the price?
- Two professional wildlife photographers as your mentors for the week
- One professional wildlife photography mentor on every drive in each vehicle
- Online seminar on Photographing Wildlife and an option for a personal Basic Camera Instruction seminar if needed before trip commences, so you are fully prepared for the very first game drive.
- Professional photography mentoring as needed outside of game drives
- Photography portfolio reviews to help you hone in on your natural abilities and focus, allowing you to create a cohesive body of work for the week
- Post-processing demos upon request
- International flights
- Kenya Visa ($50 USD)
- All optional activities
- Meals not mentioned and beverages
- Tips and personal expenses such as laundry and communication
READY TO BOOK OR HAVE A QUESTION?
Fill out the form below or email Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT your photography mentors and Guides
Amy Shutt specializes in nature and wildlife photography with a focus on documentary and conservation photography. Amy also leads wildlife photography classes and workshops throughout the the Americas, Canada and Africa.
She is the Director of The Canid Project, a newly formed 501c3 non-profit that focuses on using photography and narrative as creative tools to educate on the world's wild canids. Her interest in foxes and coyotes, background in wildlife rehabilitation, and curiosity about the human and wild animal relationships in our world, brought her to start this project. She hopes to educate and inspire through all of her photographic endeavors.
Amy's work has been published in books and magazines and her work has been highly honored by the Nature's Best Windland Smith Rice International competition.
Sammy is our lead driver and guide on our Maasai Mara tour. He is a proud Maasai who began working as a driver guide at camps in the Mara nearly a decade ago. In the past nine years he has honed these skills and has become one of the most sought after driver guides in the Mara. Sammy has an innate talent for wildlife spotting, as well a naturally good eye for photography, especially in terms of light and safari vehicle placement. He strategically positions his vehicle in the optimal spot insuring that our clients will get some of the best photographs for any given situation. Sammy is highly ethical in his wildlife photography and guiding approaches, which works in sync with our own philosophy on wildlife photography. We are lucky to have him as part of our team. Sammy Kaleku Photography