Uganda Photo Tour: primates and wildlife of the Savannas
Join Amy for a 15-day Photo Safari exploring the wildlife and sights of Uganda on November 1 to 15, 2018. This is a 6-person tour, with Amy Shutt as your photography guide.
We currently only have 3 spaces left!
This 15-day trip brings you to where the savannah meets the rainforest. We will visit 6 of the most beautiful national parks and areas that Uganda has to offer to photograph the animals of the savannas: Expect to see Lions, Elephant, Buffalo, Giraffe, Hippo, White Rhino, Zebra, Impala, Topis, and Leopard, as well as and up to 15 primate species, including the Mountain Gorillas of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and the Chimpanzees of Kibale Forest.
CLICK ON IMAGES BELOW TO SEE LARGER VERSIONS:
- 6 morning and afternoon game drives on the savannas of Murchison Falls, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Ishasha, and Mburo
- 2 Night game drives in Murchison Falls and Lake Mburo in search of nocturnal animals and predators on the hunt
- 3 Boat trips total (Nile River to the Murchison Falls, Kazinga Channel for Hippos and Birds, and Mabamba Swamp to look for the elusive and endangered Shoebill.
- 2 days with Chimpanzees and 12 other primate species in Kibale Forest
- 2 days of Mountain Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi National Park
- Enjoy the silence and beautiful landscape in Uganda’s most beautiful lake, Lake Bunyonyi
- A game walk in Lake Mburo National Park to get a unique view of the animals
- A visit to Ziwa to see Uganda's only White Rhinos
Your guide will be waiting for you upon your arrival at Entebbe Airport on November 1, 2018. You will proceed to the Forest Cottages, which are luminously designed luxury cottages set in a serene, African forest environment. Here you will meet up with Amy and the rest of the photo safari group. We will get acquainted and enjoy the beautiful environment while we prepare with Amy for photographing the wildlife that we will encounter in the coming days. Amy will do her best to help you capture images that you are happy with and that go beyond the basics and set themselves apart. Amy has years of experience educating and guiding in wildlife photography and looks forward to helping you meet your photographic goals.
The next couple of days will be spent in the Murchison Falls National Park, with accommodations at Pakuba Lodge, which is situated on the eastern bank of the Albert Nile. But first, on our way to Murchison Falls National Park, we will visit the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary, which is the only place in Uganda where you can see the endangered White Rhino. And then on to Murchison Falls! One of the main attractions here is the waterfall at the Nile River, where the whole of the river is forced through a narrow gorge and plunges 60 meters. Expect to see Elephants, Giraffes, Lions, Hippos, Crocodiles, African Buffaloes and perhaps even Leopards. We will also enjoy a boat ride to the bottom of the falls where we will be able to view many of Uganda’s bird species. On our last night here we will enjoy a night game drive where we will be able to see the nocturnal behaviors of Uganda’s predators.
After a morning drive to photograph more fauna we head to Kibale Forest, where we will stay at the Kibale Forest Camp. Kibale Forest is a spectacular jungle, with 13 primate species including Chimpanzees, Baboons, Black-and-White Colobus Monkeys, Red Colobus Monkeys, Grey-cheeked Mangabey and L’Hoest Monkey. Here we will participate in a full day Chimpanzee Habituation Experience, a unique opportunity to be out all day with the Chimpanzees who are in the process of becoming habituated to humans in the chimps' natural environment, which can take up to two years. We will learn much as we photograph and observe these amazing creatures, as well as from the researchers who will guide us through the day. We will also have a morning of Chimpanzee Trekking, when we will spend one hour with a Chimpanzee group that is fully habituated.
Later that afternoon we head to Queen Elizabeth National Park. After stops to view the Rwenzori Mountains and at the equator we will arrive at our accommodations at Kasenyi Safari Camp. Queen Elizabeth National Park is one of the best places in Uganda to see Lions. Expect to see Elephants, Lions, Hippos, Crocodiles, African Buffaloes and maybe Leopards on the game drives. We will also take a boat ride through the beautiful Kazinga Channel, which boasts a high density of Hippos and spectacular birds, before heading out the following day to the Ishasha sector in search of 'Tree Climbing Lions'! In Ishasha there are 4 prides of Lion that climb the trees, a unique behavior for the species! The other attractions of Ishasha are the Topis, not found anywhere else in this National Park. We will enjoy our evening stay at the Ishasha Jungle Lodge.
Next, we travel to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest to begin our two days of Gorilla Trekking! Bwindi Impenetrable is a unique jungle, with many primate species. We will have an early morning departure with a ranger to search for one of the world’s most charismatic and critically endangered animals, the Mountain Gorilla. Roughly 880 remain in the wild and Bwindi is one of the two places in the world where you can find them. We will spend one hour with one of our closest relatives. The following day we will track a different family of gorillas.
We then head to Lake Bunyonyi Eco Resort , which is on an island in the deepest lake in all of Uganda. The following day we head to Lake Mburo National Park where we will stay at Mburo Safari Lodge. We will enjoy a game drive and a boat trip on the lake in the afternoon The evening in Mburo brings us a chance to go on a night game drive where we will have a very high chance of seeing Leopards. Lake Mburo is one of the two national parks with Zebras and the only national park with Impalas in Uganda. There are no Elephants or Lions, so a walking safari is an option.
After a game walk or drive in the morning we will head back to Entebbe. We will sleep at the Victoria View Guest House and prepare for our early morning boat cruise to the Mabamba Swamp to look for the amazing Shoebill, a rare and massive bird formerly thought to be related to storks but now known to be more closely related to pelicans! This will end our safari, and you will then transfer to the airport for your flight home after spending 15 wonderful days in Uganda!
If you do not own any of the equipment below you can rent from several rental facilities. Amy uses and recommends Lens Pro To Go, Borrow Lenses, and Lensrentals. Email Amy if you are unsure if your gear will work for this workshop: firstname.lastname@example.org and she''ll let you know! :)
- DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Long lens (something that extends to at least 300 to 600mm)
- a 1.4TC and or a 2.0TC
- A shorter long lens, like a 70-200mm
- A wide angle for landscapes
- Enough SD cards to accommodate your shooting frequency
PRICING AND BOOKING DETAILS:
- Tour price is $6450 per person (double/twin sharing) .
- A single supplement is available for $500 extra.
- Non-refundable deposit of $2100 USD to secure your gorilla permits and your spot
- 50% of the balance is due on June 15, 2018 with the remaining balance due on August 15, 2018.
- Once you've contacted us to sign up we will give you further instructions on paying your deposit through our licensed travel agent Pearson's Travel in the USA.
- Once you've contacted our agent, you will receive a booking form with terms and conditions before paying your deposit.
- By booking through Pearson's Travel your money is secure and protected.
- Once your deposit is paid you will receive a full itinerary with detailed info about the tour, lodging, and more
TRAVEL INSURANCE: SIMPLE & FLEXIBLE
You can buy and claim online, even after you've left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
Amy loves World Nomads travel insurance!
What's included in the price?
- Airport transfers and all transfers between locations
- Bottled drinking water
- 4x4 custom built safari vehicle
- 1 full row of seats for you and your gear in safari vehicle
- Knowledgeable and experienced driver/guide
- Entrance fees to National Parks
- All game drives
- Gorilla permits for two treks
- Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary visit
- Boat trips on the Nile,
- Chimpanzee Habituation
- Chimpanzee Trekking
- Boat trip on the Kazinga Channel
- Boat trip in Mabamba Swamp
- Professional photography instruction
- Photography portfolio reviews
- Post-processing demos
- International flights
- Visa for Uganda
- All optional activities
- Meals not mentioned and beverage
- Tips and personal expenses such as laundry and communication
READY TO BOOK OR HAVE A QUESTION?
Fill out the form below or email Amy at email@example.com
ABOUT YOUR PHOTO GUIDE AND INSTRUCTOR:
Amy Shutt specializes in nature and wildlife photography with a recent focus in photo-documentary projects. A formally trained and published photographer, Amy also teaches various photography classes and workshops throughout the United States and in Africa. Her interest in foxes and coyotes, background in wildlife rehabilitation, and curiosity about the human and wild animal relationships in our world, brought her to start The Canid Project. She hopes to preserve, educate, and inspire through this endeavor.